The main objective of this program is to generate predictive models featuring high resolution in space and time on the topography and evolution of the iberian plate.
This project features an innovative approach which consists of analysing in a joint and integrated manner the influence of the surficial and deep rooted natural processes. Within the numerous phenomena which we pretend to quantify with very important social implications include: the effects of the uplift and subsidence in the course of the different river systems. This will be done by analytical techniques including "in situ" measurements of erosion and denudation. Predictive changes in elevation, geo-hazards or the evolution of acuifers of drinkable water through the knowledge in changes in the stress field due to natural or human origin.
The existing data and the newly acquired on the physical properties of the terrestrial materials at different scales should provide estimates on instability thresholds of faults and the stress release after an earthquake. The new advances in crustal deformation and the new understanding on thermomechanical processes of the crust and upper mantle should provide meanigful new data on topics as the mitigation of geo-hazards.
The scope of the project establish a generic objectives, integrated within the frame of international initiatives such as Topo-Europe/EuroArray, and specific objectives, that can be grouped in studies of the structure and dynamics of the upper crust, of the lower crust and upper mantle, and of the interaction between surface and deep processes.
- Establishment of a common working platform in the form of an integrated network of research groups/centres.
- Constitution and management of an integrated geological-geophysical database.
- Development and management of a multitask platform, IberArray, of Earth monitoring.
- Methodological developments and modelling.
- International coordination of research, interaction with generic programs as Earthscope or TopoEurope-EuroArray.
- Education/formation of specialists, and information dissemination.
- Detailed analysis of the topography, bathymmetry and geomorphology.
- Accurate determinations of vertical and horizontal movements.
- Sedimentation, erosion, uplift and subsidence rates during the Plio-Quaternary.
- Geological hazards associated to landslides and slope instabilities.
- Evolution of river systems, drainage networks and coastal systems.
- Obtention of high resolution geophysical parametres to characterize the crust and mantle.
- Location of active structures related with plate boundaries.
- Characterization and evolution on main tectonic structures.
- Seismotectonic activity and seismic hazard associated.
- Superposition of local and regional stress fields and surficial tectonics.
- Isostatic equilibrium, mass redistribution at different lithospheric and sub-lithospheric levels, and relief generation.
- Influence of the relief variation and climate on the crustal tectonic deformation.
- Density variations induced by changes in the P-T conditions, and phase changes and their influence on vertical movements.
- Identification of geodynamic mechanisms responsibles of the lithospheric deformation.